Light Programme Theme Tunes
Over the years, the BBC radio theme tunes became popular in their own right; do you remember;
1. Music While You Work - Calling All Workers
2. Housewives Choice - In Party Mood
3. Two Way Family Favourites - With A Song In My Heart
4. Children's Favourites - Puffin Billy
5. The Archers - Barwick Green
6. Desert Island Discs - By The Sleepy Lagoon
7. Music In Miniature - Elizabethan Serenade
8. Paul Temple - Coronation Scot
9. In Town Tonight (Introduction) - Knightsbridge March
10. In Town Tonight (Travel Theme) - Holiday Spirit
11. In Town Tonight - Portrait Of A Flirt
12. In Town Tonight - Will O' The Wisp
13. Send For Shiner - Jumping Bean
14. Family Affair
15. Journey Into Melody
16. Melody On The Move
17. Jennings At School - The Old Clockmaker
18. The Barlows Of Beddington - Cavalcade Of Youth
19. Dick Barton Special Agent - Devil's Galop
20. It's That Man Again
21. Meet The Huggets - Horsefeathers
22. The Navy Lark - Trade Wind Hornpipe
23. Down Your Way - Horseguards - Whitehall
24. Queen's Hall Light Orchestra Theme - Voice Of London
* Station Opening Theme Tune: Oranges and Lemons by the BBC Theatre Orchestra/Harold Lowe
* Housewives Choice- In a Party Mood by The Bosworth Orchestra
(comp. Jack Strachey) This version was a remake of the original 1946 version played by The West End Celebrity Orchestra. The presenter was instructed to begin talking after 22 seconds of the theme tune start. Housewives choice was aired from 1946 on weekday mornings after 9am, with requests and dedications played for the nation's wives at home while their husbands were at work. Early presenters on a fortnightly rota were Neal Arden, Roy Rich, Franklyn Engleman and Brian Mickey. Popular 1960's presenters of the show included Sam Costa, David Jacobs, Val Doonican, Pete Murray, Barry Alldis and later David Hamilton.
David Rider wrote to Radio Rewind in 2006; "I've just been trawling through your sig tunes page and you have gone slightly adrift with the Housewives' Choice theme (above). The piece has two subsidiary themes and you have got the wrong one. The other subsidiary theme, with strings, was the fade point. I know this because I used to panel Housewives Choice in my young days!"
David Jacobs' 'Pick Of The Pops' theme "Swingin' At The Tower" by Ray Anthony & his Orchestra.
* Sports Report -
Out of the Blue by the Central Band of the RAF was heard on the Light Programme at Saturday tea time with the football results, It can be heard today on BBC Radio Five Live at the same said time.
'Midday Spin' Brighton Run (from the film Be My Guest) by the Malcolm Lockyer Orchestra
* Family Favourites - With a Song in my Heart
Original 1941 Version by Andre Kostelanetz & his Orchestra.
This long running and very popular Sunday lunchtime request show was carried by Radio 1 as well as Radio 2 until April 8th 1973. Family Favourites most famous and regular presenters were Jean Metcalfe (b.1923- d.2000) and Cliff Michelmore. Sarah Kennedy also presented during the 1970's. The show was transmitted on the Light Programme/BBC Radio 2 between 1945 and 1984 as a long-distance record request show linking UK soldiers posted overseas with their loved ones in Great Britain.
In 1982 a Radio 4 series called "When Housewives Had The Choice ", with Russell Davies, Maureen Lipman and Julie Covington, looked back over the Housewives' Choice years. Julie Covington released this single using lyrics produced for the series.
Radio Newsreel (7pm News on the Light Programme - also used on World Service)
Imperial Echoes by the R,A.F Band
Links to other Light Programme pages heard can be found below.