Included on this page are a selection of some of the more popular Theme or Signature Tunes
used by BBC Presenters and shows since 1967.
Hear what you can remember!
RADIO REWIND AUDIO CLIPS
Please check Audio Help Page in case of difficulty downloading. You will need a username and password. Please register. Then you will be able to login.
Radio 1 opening & closing theme Theme One by George Martin Theme One was also used as a background during programme introductions. It was phased out during the mid 1970's, last used by Alan Freeman during his Saturday Rock Show.
Tony Blackburn's breakfast theme - Beefeaters by John Dankworth
Mike Ahern - Buckeye* by Johnny and the Hurricans
*This theme tune was only ever used with Mike's BBC 'trailer' Liverpool born in 1942 Mike Ahern began his broadcasting career on Radio Caroline in 1965. His innovative and popular morning shows were aired throughout the heyday of Radio Caroline and British Offshore Radio. He moved to Radio 1 for it's 1967 launch and holds the record for the shortest term at the station, just one Top Gear show. He then worked on various Australian stations returning to the UK in 1988. He worked for Essex Radio, Piccadilly Radio and Capital Gold and in 2003 was on new station Norfolk North Radio. He broadcast on Pirate BBC Essex during Easter 2009. Mike sadly passed away in October 2009 aged 67.
'Pick of the Pops' theme 1961 - 1967 Sign of the Swingin' Cymbal by Brian Fahey 1960
'Pick of the Pops' theme 1967-1969*Quite Beside the Point by Harry Roberts Sound (1min)
Jingle to denote chart climber 1967 - 1969* from Switched on Bach by Walter Carlos
Jingle possibly to denote chart faller! origin as above.
* estimated period of use - do you have more accurate info?
'Pick of the Pops' theme 1970 - 1972 Sign of the Swingin' Cymbal by Brass Incorporated
DLT's show theme - A Touch Of Velvet (A Sting Of Brass) by Mood Mosaic
'Midday Spin' Brighton Run (from the film Be My Guest) by the Malcolm Lockyer Orchestra
Jimmy Young Prog - Town Talk by Ken Woodman and his Piccadilly Brass
Pete Brady/Dave Cash/Wogan Afternoon Show - Breakthrough by Tony Evans and Orchestra
Stuart Henry Show Soul Finger by the Bar-Kays
Ed Stewart's Junior Choice Morningtown Ride by Stan Butcher (0.5 mins) Stan's band played UK easy listening music with albums Wrappin' it Up, Birds & Brass and Big Band Blow-out.
Johnnie Walker Show Because They're Young by Duane Eddy
Terry Wogan Show Just Like That by Brass Incorporated
Alan Field wrote to Radio Rewind; this Terry Wogan theme, Just Like That, is the B-side of the 1970 Pye single of the revamped At The Sign Of The Swinging Cymbal!
Rosko's Round Table, up to 1976 Jumpin' Jack Flash
* Annie Nightingale's Sunday Afternoon Request Show - East St. Louis Toodle-oo - Steely Dan.
* Tony Brandon - Fuzz Duck by Jerry Allen Trio see also Radio 2 below
* Mike Raven - Soul Serenade by the Mike Cotton Sound (MGM)
* Jimmy Savile (Savile's Travels) The man I love-Ted Heath
* What's New (from March 1969) Apricot Brandy by US band Rhinoceros
* Jimmy Savile's Double Top Ten Show; Doodletown Fifers by Sauter Finegan Band (comp. W Finegan)
Noel Edmonds Breakfast Show The Kid by Andre Brasseur
Johnnie Walker's Tuesday Top 20 (mid 70's) - Time is Tight by Booker T & the MG's
Jimmy Savile's Old Record Club The In Crowd by the Ramsey Lewis Trio
Peter Clayton's 'Sounds of Jazz' theme was composed by Laurie Johnson. Peter Clayton's Jazz shows were heard on Radio 1 and 2 from 1968 until 1982 when moved to Radio 3 as 'Jazz Requests' until his death in 1991. Composer Laurie Johnson wrote this lovely theme tune as well as Classic British TV series themes including the Avengers, the Professionals and Jason King.
* Andy Peebles Soul Show In the Stone by Earth Wind and Fire
* Our Tune (Bates) Theme from Romeo & Juliet performed by the Henry Salomon Orchestra.
Top 40 (Browne/Bates) the excellent Brother by British group CCS (who also played 'Whole Lotta Love' theme to 'Top of the Pops'
* Tom Browne Top 20 countdown music (1975) Oh My My - David Hentschel, previously Lady Madonna - Apollo 100
Top 40 1980 (Blackburn) 'Theme from Firepower' by 'Hot Forties'
Top 40 1981 (Blackburn) P.J.O. - Don't Jive Me.
Top 40 (Skinner/Brookes) Top 40_Bed: Rockall by Mezzoforte (1min)
You too could be Bruno! Bruno's name check, 'action radio' Chart that Counts' jingles & Top_40 Bed
Top 40 - (Goodier) late 2001 to Nov 2002 Crash by The Propellerheads
* Alexis Korner Struttin' byDr. Strut
* Steve Wright Radio 1 Show Main Theme Theatre Land by Dick Walter.
* Steve Wright Radio 1 Show Up to the news with Industrial Report by Graham De Wilde. (KPM)
* Steve Wright Radio 1 Show Closing Theme 20th Century Revolution by Graham De Wilde. (KPM)
Other Songs Associated with Radio 1 include -
Binky Baker's 'revenge!' (Anne Nightingale's husband Binky is famous for having poured a port and brandy over Tony Blackburn's head during a Mallory Park fun day).
Toe Knee Black Burn by Binky Baker & the Pit Orchestra (1978) 48kbps (1 min clip)