Situated in Langham Street behind Broadcasting House in London's West End, Egton House was purchased by the BBC at the height of the second world war and was used as BBC HQ after the bombing of Broadcasting House in 1940.
Named after a small village in North Yorkshire, it was the home of Radio 1 'Gramophone Department' production, and later housed the continuity studios used by the Disc Jockeys on floors 3 & 4.
The vast BBC record collection was stored on the ground and first floors. In 1992 it contained over a million records. It was linked to BH via a subway beneath the street. New studios were opened at Egton in 1985 with the latest available technology. This investment avoided the DJ's having to share facilities with other programme makers.
Radio 1 vacated Egton House in 1996, moving a couple of streets away to an imposing 1930's building; Yalding House, 152-156 Great Portland Street.
Egton House was classed as an 'eyesore' and was demolished in January 2003. Broadcasting House is to be re-vamped to house all BBC Radio offices by 2008. The building will include a new 'Egton Wing.'